WHAT IS THE PROGRAM?
The Peers4Peers Program is designed to help high school and college students. “Peers” are the students that make up this program, guided by a moderator (Mental Health Professional or Counselor), and certified nationally through the Peer Counseling Certification by REBORN with curriculum from LEAD. This program is beneficial to schools as we see a rise in need for coping mechanisms, counseling services, and lack of school resources and student knowledge of them to do so.
WHAT DOES IT TEACH?
- Identify and de-escalate a crisis situation
- Identify and intervene in a panic attack
- Identify and address suicidal ideation
- Promotion of self-care and the importance of reaching out
- An ABC action plan to guide a conversation with an individual experiencing feelings of depression, anxiety, nervousness, sadness, frustration, and more
- Give a warm hand off to a moderator or professionalIdentify when it is necessary to alert a moderator or professional for further help and guidance
- The role of confidentiality
THE PEERS4PEERS MEET WEEKLY TO:
- New training opportunities
- Current trending issues within the school
- Any experiences they may need further guidance on from the moderator
- Potential new members
- A monthly support group with the moderator